December 17, 2010 9AM
Near Panama Canal, Panama.
Today we are 'finally' sailing towards San Andres, Colombia (Colombian Island off the coast of Nicaragua enroute to Belize. Weather has had us pinned down with strong trades blowing and making big seas. Our course is about 325T and he wind is NNE to NE so this makes for 'to weather' passage which is our least favorite. At the moment the seas are running 12' and the forecast is for 15-25 knots and this is a lull!
The good news is San Andres is only 210nm away so we should make it there in a little over 24 hours.
The bad news is that we have not replaced our broken SSB radio. We spent yesterday on a 14 hour trip to Panama City that involved six hours of bus rides and several hours in taxis. What we found was a great I-Com shop, but the prices were very great and since they did not have the exact replacement radio we wanted and the prices were so high we decided to pass. The repairs were estimated to be $600 with no guarantee. We have to get a radio later and save $400+. Thus, will not have email on board LightSpeed for a while until we repair or replace the SSB. Our Colombia cell will work in San Andres and we will be sure to check out email at available internet cafes at every opportunity. Once we are in Belize we can get WIFI with decent speed internet so thats something to look forward to.
Perhaps, one of our wedding guests could courier a new radio down to us. Drop us an email if you could do this (radio is about 25 pounds and roughly 5"x 18"x14" and would need lots of padding).
Just finished checking the weather here at the internet cafe so we are off.
Post a Comment