February 1, 2013
Penrhyn Atoll, Cook Islands, South Pacific Ocean
Varo lobster fishing, windy weather and a new sailing strategy
Yesterday we went fishing for Varo lobster. We found plenty, but didn't have the right tools and/technique to catch any. Lots of little black tip sharks seemed more interested in our bait than the Varo lobster (Mantis Shrimp) Today the wind picked up so we couldn't go back for a second try.
A BBQ was planned for at Rio's house tonight, but in the early afternoon the wind started to blow a steady 25 knots with gusts to 35. Our anchorage at Te Tautua was getting rough with 3' wind waves, so regrettably we had to move the boat to the North end of the atoll to find a more protected anchorage. Kathy had baked a cake for the party, but now I guess we'll have to eat it by ourselves unless the wind calms down tomorrow and we can take the cake into share. The forecast doesn't look too promising, so we may be stuck on the North motu by ourselves for a few days.
That's it for now.
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com