Sunday, July 20, 2014

Underway Day 25 LightSpeed Sailing from Marshall Islands to North America

July 20, 2014 @ Noon boat time (UTC July 21 @ 0000)

Day 25 LightSpeed Sailing from Marshall Islands to North America

Day 12 at sea since our last anchorage at Bikar atoll, Marshall Islands.

Underway position: 31 58 N 175 56 W

159nm day/2003nm trip total

Course 015
Speed 6

Wind 8 @ 142T
60 % Cloud cover
1022 mbar
Air temp 84F
Sea temp 79F

It's a good thing LightSpeed sails so well to weather in light winds. The last 24 hours our maximum wind speed was 12 knots, but mostly 9 true out of the SE. Seas are pretty calm, but the full main sail was slating every other wave and eventually drove me to put in a double reef yesterday afternoon. So, we're feeling good about our 159 run considering the light winds and double reef'd main.

Twice daily analysis of the GFS model suggest a strong high pressure system will develop in the Bering Sea in the next week. If the prediction holds then it looks like we'll be making landfall in the central Aleutians possibly Adak Island. We'd greatly prefer to gain more easting and make landfall in Dutch or Kodiak, but this is looking decidedly unlikely as the high pressure would bring a big header.

If any of our sailing friends out there have a toggle for a 1/2" Gibb turnbuckle with a half inch pin diameter laying around in their bilge and want to be a real star they could mail it to us USPS general delivery Dutch Harbor. Send me an email to dbkane at gmail dot com if you got one and can help us out.

Kathy made enchiladas for dinner last night and we watched an episode of Game of Thrones. We're very much enjoying the tranquil conditions and the restful off watch afforded by the calm seas.

That's it for now.

radio email processed by SailMail
for information see:

No comments:

Post a Comment