October 25, 2014
Port Angeles, Washington, USA
Yesterday we motored from Seattle out to Port Angeles. Conditions were calm and the tide was with us most of the day. We considered anchoring out, but the NOAA forecast was calling for NE 20 which would make for a bumpy night on the hook.
The Port of Angeles has a nice guest moorage dock for $0.75 a foot a night and that price includes WIFI internet. Half the price of Shilshole or Port Townsend! It stormed pretty good overnight and we were glad to be tied to the dock in the calm waters of the marina.
Today we analysed the weather forecasts and strongly considered heading out to Neah Bay to stage for the jump to Astoria, Oregon. With gale winds whipping the coast and nary a break between storms, it's pretty hard to find a weather window. Sunday shows some promise, but only if we're willing to leave in the evening and run overnight in pretty strong NW winds. We're not in a hurry, so we'll probably wait for a bigger and nicer window that has more daylight.
Two other sailboats are in Port Angeles waiting for weather to make the run. s/v Fifth Season, a Fountaine Pajot Venezia 42' catamaran and now maybe 44' with hull extensions. This boat has been places, having originated in the British Virgin Islands, they've been to New Zealand, Hobart, Australia and Japan, before sailing across the North Pacific to Kodiak and cruising Alaska. They have doubled all their rigging, a novel approach to ensuring the rig stays up.
The other is a big, but beautiful mono-hull named s/v Captains Mistress, they sailed from La Paz Mexico direct via the clipper route to Kodiak, Alaska.
Pretty cool that these two boats and LightSpeed all sailed to Kodiak this year.
That's it for now.