Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Sailing for the Marquesas later today, the hard way.

February 27, 2013
Fakarava, Tuamotu, French Polynesia, South Pacific

Sailing from Fakarava atoll to the Marquesas islands

Planned sailing route East through the Tuamotu and then North to the Marquesas.

GRIB file snip.  The weather outlook 24 hours from now shows light northerly winds.

We're sailing for the Marquesas later today, the hard way.  Most boats enjoy a off the wind approach to the Marquesas Islands, but we'll be headed on a 600nm northeasterly course against the prevailing easterly winds.  The good news is it looks like the wind is going to go light for a few days and we can leverage our ability to sail fast in light air.

Time to make last minute preparations before we sail out of the Fakarava lagoon, net stop Ua Pou or Nuka Hiva, but we have a few fall back options if the weather forecast doesn't hold.  Look for more updates via Sailmail.

That's it for now